Know more about your Pure Copper Item

There are many questions which comes to our mind for any copper item, that how durable it is, if it is pure copper or not, the thickness of the copper sheet used or how to take care of the copper items.

Here in this article, i have added some major points which will clear all the doubts which is related to the purchasing and taking care of the Copper Utensils whether it is Copper Jug, Copper Bottle, Copper Glass, Copper Water Pot or other copper utensil.

 

How to know if it is pure copper or not ?

 

RESISTIVITY AND CONDUCTIVITY

The first test is to check the resistivity and the conductivity. Copper has a resistivity of around 1.7 x 10^-8 ohm-mtrs at room temperature. Means that it conducts the electric current well, that is why it is used in the wires used to flow current. If your copper item does not conduct current well, it is not made of pure copper. If you can determine the resistance of your item with an ohmmeter, you can calculate the resistivity of the item. To convert from resistance to resistivity, multiply the resistance by cross-sectional area of the item and divide by its length. If the resistivity of your object is larger than copper's resistivity, it is likely not made of pure copper.

 

MAGNETIC TEST

Copper is very less magnetic. So, if you place the magnet closer to the copper item you wish to test, you will not see any effect on it. But the powerful magnet may have a slight effect on your copper item.

The other magnetic test is when you drop a powerful magnet through a copper made tube, it will appear to fall very slowly than normal. This is because of the eddy current that is generated in the copper by the moving magnetic field. If your item shows these mentioned magnetic properties, it may be the real copper.

 

COLOR OF COPPER

You can clean your item with a mixture of table salt and vinegar and then observe its color changes to find out if your object is made of copper. One of the chemical created in the combination of table salt and vinegar is hydro chloric acid or Hcl. When you rub or wipe your item after putting salt and vinegar on it, the hydro chloric acid will clean the surface of the item. If the material is copper, it will oxidize from exposure to oxygen, water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). After doing this, it will create a greenish color on the surface of the copper item.


Related Posts