BASIC THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT COPPER WATER BOTTLES
Have you ever wondered why your grandparents still drink water from a copper vessel or and not a stainless steel vessel or glass bottle as is the case with the modern generation?
The answer is the benefits of copper water far outweigh the benefits of stainless steel or glass water.
Throughout much of history, people have been known to store water in and drink water from a copper vessel. For more than thousands of years, drinking water from copper vessels has been a recurrent practice in India and other South Asian nations.
According to Ayurveda, the oldest holistic medical science, copper water, also called as TAMRA JAL (means therapeutic water) in Sanskrit, has been acknowledged for its tremendous health benefiting qualities. For long, it was a tradition to drink water stored in a copper water bottle 1 litre the first thing in the morning. This greatly helped to boost good health, a fact that has conclusively been proven by several medical studies.
IS DRINKING FROM COPPER WATER BOTTLE BENEFICIAL?
People have been drinking water from copper vessels since centuries. It has also been mentioned in the Ayurvedic texts.
However, it is only in recent years, this has caught the attention of the mainstream scientific community. Several scientific studies have extolled the benefits of copper water. Furthermore, the studies disclosed that water stored in a copper vessel not only offers quality health benefits but also no evidence to date has been proven that water stored in a copper vessel poses risks to health. They have further highlighted the findings of the WHO (World Health Organization) that concluded it is absolutely safe to drink water from a copper vessel.
However, the findings also pointed out that water stored in a copper vessel or copper bottle for several hours absorbed less than 1/20th of the amount of copper which is way below safe limits. To stay safe, the findings recommended that one should consume 2mg of copper per liter of water.
WHAT DOES AYURVEDA SAY?
Ayurvedic texts say water should be stored in a copper vessel for about 8 hours before the copper water is consumed. This will help to maximize the benefits of copper water.
To extract the maximum benefits of copper water,
- Copper vessel should be filled with water at night.
- Allow the copper vessel to rest. This will help the water to get completely ionized, and make it perfectly fit and healthy for drinking the next morning.
Ayurvedic texts also recommend a gap of one to two weeks after every three months of the usage of the copper vessel.
Aside from copper vessel, water can also be stored in a copper water bottle. What makes copper water bottle different is water stored in it
- Can be carried all day and later refilled at periodic intervals, once the stored water gets over.
- Will continue to stay fresh whole day, free of bacteria.
HOW IS A COPPER WATER BOTTLE MADE?
All copper water bottles are handmade with traditional methods by skilled and talented artisans.
What is exceptional is that each copper water bottle made will be unique. Some might be made imperfect which only helps to elevate the appeal.
ARE COPPER WATER BOTTLES HAMMERED?
Yes, they are. Every copper water bottle is hammered by human hand.
There are two reasons as to why a copper water bottle is hammered by hand. It helps to
- Add an aesthetic look and feel to the copper water bottle,and also strengthen the copper bottle; AND
- Enhance the surface area of copper in the interiors of the copper bottlewhich in turn comes in contact with the water stored in it. The more the water comes into physical contact with the copper in the copper bottle, the more will be the health benefits for the person who drinks water from the copper bottle
Also, a copper water bottle has a powerful handle that’s built into the lid. This helps to increase its portability, thereby allowing anyone who takes the bottle along to enjoy copper water’s health benefits anywhere he/she goes.
HOW DOES COPPER BENEFIT HUMAN BODY?
Copper in the copper bottle on contact with water offers manifold health benefits.
- Flushes out mold, organisms, poisonous substances and waste like sweat, urine, and human dump.
- Helps to keep the joints greased-up, and stay away from grating.
- Kills microorganisms that are present in the water.
- Helps to maintain typical circulatory strain levels.
- Empowers the blood to distribute oxygen to all parts of the human body.
- Prevents the occurrence of water-borne sicknesses.
- Helps to keep the skin more solid, and flexible.
- Helps to shape to normal level, salivation and bodily fluid.
- Helps to battle paleness and control the working of thyroid organ.
- Keeps the stomach in good shape and help in controlling digestion.
- Invigorates the mind and enhances its working.
- Plays a key role in keeping the kidneys in good order.
- Helps to keep the human body fit and energetic.
Aside from the above, Ayurvedic texts have also guaranteed that drinking copper water on an empty stomach every day early in the morning or other times of the day, helps to adjust the three doshas – KAPHA, VATA, and PITTA. According to the texts, it helps to aid better digestion, and regularize the working of fundamental organs.
Aside from the above, copper also helps to slow aging; support body immunity; improve the health of the skin; eliminate toxins; reduce weight gain; and above all, function as a strong antioxidant that helps to ward off disease and boost brain power.
DOES COPPER WATER BOTTLE CREATE ALKALINE WATER?
Yes, it does. All copper water bottles are essentially alkaline water bottles. Storing water in a copper water bottle will also alter the pH balance of water to alkaline.
What happens is that when you store water in a copper water bottle, it becomes natural alkaline water. Drinking such a water helps to keep your body fit and healthy while allowing you to live a healthy lifestyle.
WHAT WATER TYPE IS BEST USED IN COPPER WATER BOTTLE?
Any type of water including tap water, and water that goes through a filter, can be used in a copper water bottle. The difference between tap water and other water types can be easily masked out. Tap water is generally the least alkaline as a result of which they need to be filtered thoroughly before used for consumption.
Even in first-world nations where tap water is of a high-quality and water is mostly directly consumed from a tap, they should be filtered so as to weed out hidden impurities that could be lurking in the water. This is best done before they are put in a copper utensil and then drank later.
ARE COPPER BOTTLES DOUBLE-WALLED OR INSULATED?
Yes, they can be.
A double-walled or insulated copper bottle is used for keeping water cold or hot.
Ayurvedic texts however recommend drinking of lukewarm OR room temperature water rather than cold or hot water. This will help to
- Tame the digestive burps that builds up in a person’s body often.
- Supports the lymphatic system. Over time, this will lead to more toxins being pumped out from the body.
Additionally, it also helps to flush the lymphatic system; soften hardened tissues; clean and hydrate deep issues; and heal and repair the digestive system.
If you drink cold water, it can
- Slow down the enzymes in your gut. This in turn can prevent your body from digesting food particles properly, thereby increasing the amount of toxins in the body.
- Cause blood vessels contraction. This in turn will increase the likelihood of the toxins staying put in the body rather than being forced out through the lymphatic system.
Similarly, if you fill a copper water bottle with hot or boiled water, it can drastically reduce the working span of the copper bottle.
Copper by nature is a very soft metal. Based on the method construction used to make double-walled copper bottles, they can be susceptible to problems galore. Like water stored in them can seep in between the two walls; and cause the formation of mold which is dangerous to your health well-being.
Hence, the use of one-walled copper bottle is recommended.
IS IT TRUE THAT COPPER WATER BOTTLE CAN CURE COPPER DEFICIENCY?
Yes, it is true. When you drink water from a copper bottle, it will help to drastically overcome the copper deficiency. However, to stay on the safe side, it is advisable to consult a doctor to understand the real cause of your copper deficiency and what can be done to overcome the problem.
SHOULD COPPER BOTTLE BE CLEANED WHEN USED FOR FIRST TIME?
Yes, it should be done to stay on the safe side. If the inside of the copper bottle is cleaned with warm water supplemented with a drop of a liquid soap; followed by a good scrub with a dish brush, then it will help to keep the copper bottle clean. Once done, drinking water can be filled in it.
DOES A COPPER BOTTLE LEAK?
No. Every copper bottle generally is capped with a leak-proof cap. This will to prevent the seepage of water while keeping the copper bottle stay water-tight.
HOW DOES WATER STORED IN A COPPER BOTTLE TASTE?
Water stored in copper bottle tastes clean, fresh, and pure, as good as natural water. What more, the stored water can absorb the beneficial health benefits of copper. However, it does not absorb enough of copper so as to alter water’s taste dramatically. At times, if your tongue touches the bottle, it may touch a hint of copper as you drink water from the copper bottle.
CAN LEMON OR OTHER FRUIT BE USED WITH COPPER BOTTLE?
Yes, they can provide plentiful health benefits.
If water from a copper water bottle is combined with either lemon juice or lemon slices in a cup or tumbler or mug, you can enjoy the best of health benefits. But if copper reacts with certain acids like citric acid, it can be detrimental to your health. That is why it’s recommended to use water only in a copper water bottle.
CAN COFFEE OR TEA OR JUICE OR SPARKLING WATER BE USED IN A COPPER BOTTLE?
It is not advisable to use them in a copper bottle. That is because if copper happens to react with acidic liquids, that is, any liquid with a pH of less than seven, it can spoil the water and even damage the copper bottle later.
CAN ESSENTIAL OILS BE USED WITH COPPER BOTTLE?
No, because it not advisable to do so.
However, you can add essential oils to the copper charged water in a separate container instead of adding them directly into the copper water bottle.
HOW TO POLISH AND CLEAN A COPPER BOTTLE?
First and foremost, it should be understood that a copper water bottle is generally made of 100% pure copper.
This means it patinas naturally over a period of time. In case, you opt for the shine of copper, the patina will be easy to take out.
All that needs to be done is
- Put a pinch of salt on a slice of lemon. This will allow the salt to dissolve.
- Rub it gently on the surface of the bottle.
- Lemon and salt will combine to form a mixture. This will naturally remove the patina and restore back the copper’s shine.
- Rinse with water. Then let it dry well.
A copper water bottle’s inside also has patina. But this will have no effect on the stored water’s quality.
To stay on the safe side, it is advisable to clean the inside of the copper water bottle periodically. It should be done with warm water supplemented with a drop of liquid soap. Then it should be rinsed thoroughly.
Avoid washing a copper water bottle in a dishwasher. They will damage the bottle.
HOW CAN A COPPER BOTTLE BE IDENTIFIED?
When you look to purchase a copper water bottle, ensure you’re buying a genuine one.
A genuine copper water bottle can be distinguished by following indicators.
LOOK FOR RED-ORANGE COLOR
Genuine copper absorbs blue-green light. This creates a distinctive red-orange hue.
Now, hold the copper water bottle up to the light. In case, it does not look red-orange, it indicates that it is not a copper water bottle.
TEST THE COPPER BOTTLE
Unlike some metals, copper does not stick to any type of magnet.
If you’re still not convinced, then use a magnet to test a bottle that’s being sold as a copper bottle. Just observe closely if you can find the bottle being drawn to the magnet and sticks to it. If it does, then the bottle is not a copper bottle.
Similarly, copper possess a 1.7x10-8 OHM/METER resistance rating.
Test the copper bottle with a millimeter. This will help you to find out if its resistance rating measures up.
Just adopt the following steps:
- Calibrate the multimeter to ‘ohms’. An ohm is referred to as the scientific unit that measures resistance; and is represented by the Greek Letter ‘OMEGA’.
- Adjust the multimeter to the lowest possible setting.
- Place both the red and black probe tips on the copper bottle.
- Check the resistance rating. In case, it reads as 1.7 x 10-8, then it indicates that the bottle is indeed a bottle made with genuine copper.
Genuine copper possess a density of 8.96 grams per cm3. To find out if your copper bottle has such a density, adopt the following steps.
- Fill the bottle with water. This is to figure out its volume or understand how much of fluid it can hold.
- Place the bottle on a scale. This will help to figure out its mass in grams.
- Divide the mass measurement by the volume. If it shows up the genuine copper density then the bottle is indeed made with genuine copper.
Aside from the above, also find out
DOES THE COPPER EMIT SMOOTH SOUND?
Yes, a true copper does.
To find out the same, conduct a test.
- Tap the surface of the bottle quickly.
- Check what kind of sound it makes? In case, if the sound is tinny then it s not made with genuine copper. Only those bottles surface makes smooth, resonating sound, can be said to be bottles made with genuine copper.
DOES THE COPPER TURN BLUE-GREEN?
Yes, when it is exposed to the elements.
The blue-green spots are called ‘PATINA’. They help to prevent long-term corrosion.
In case, you observe blue-green patina on the bottle, then it indicates that the bottle is indeed made with genuine copper. However, if the bottle is new, then it won’t showcase any green spots.
DOES THE COPPER HAVE IMPERFECTIONS?
Yes, some copper do have some imperfections.
Copper by nature are very fragile. So if you are using a second-hand copper bottle, then it could probably have undergone through dents and pricks during its lifespan.
To find out if it has undergone such a process, just rub your hand along its surface. If it feels smooth then the bottle might not have been made with pure copper.
HOW TO AVOID MAKING A FAKE PURCHASE?
It’s important to stay careful when shopping for a copper bottle. Some shops and stores, offline or online could be selling fake or counterfeit copper bottles. There have been several online stores that claim to sell pure copper water bottles but in reality are selling counterfeit ones.
To stay safe,
- Buy only from those stores who have a credible reputation.
- Buy bottles made by only those manufacturers that are ISO authorized manufacturers. Avoid buying a bottle made by a company you’re not sure of.
- Double-check the customer reviews in the manufacturer’s website; and also cross-check with existing customers’ about their experience with the manufacturer’s bottles.
Whether you’re looking for a copper water bottle 1 liter or just a copper water bottle, log into iav.in
Every copper bottle is handcrafted by expert hands made from genuine copper; tested rigorously for purity and quality; and backed by able customer-support.
Also, remember water drank from such a copper bottle will help you to stay hydrated the Ayurvedic way.